Bill Cosby — Live in Houghton
HOUGHTON – Hey, hey, hey – it’s Bill Cosby.
That’s right, the legendary Bill Cosby will be performing at 7 p.m. Friday at the John MacInnes Ice Arena.
According to Rotary Club member Bill Musselman, bringing Cosby to town has been a yearlong process, joining forces with Michigan Technological University, Rotary Club, as well as their sponsors for the event.
“Walmart, Aspirus and Pepsi all put up major amounts of money to make this happen and defray most of the costs,” Musselman said.
Since this is a fundraiser for Rotary, the amount of money they put up was minimal so in order to maximize their fundraising efforts.
Because the show is being put on in such a large venue, it allowed the tickets to be available at a lower cost. The tickets for the show range from $25 to $75.
“If you go into other markets, front row tickets for Bill Cosby are around $150 to $200,” Rotary Club member Karyn Olsson said. “It also allowed us to be able to price things so it’s affordable for everyone.”
Tickets have also been given away to large families and elderly groups.
There are about 1,100 tickets still available, but they are going fast, Olsson said.
“People better get their tickets because we are anticipating a sold out show,” she said. “There isn’t really a bad seat in the house.”
According to Musselman, the reason he thought Cosby would be such a good choice to bring to the Copper Country was because he’s so intergenerational and has wide appeal.
“He’s also so family friendly,” Musselman said. “There are so many acts in comedy that you could not put on that stage in this town and get away with it.”
Olsson agreed with Musselman’s sentiment about Cosby’s appeal.
“My Dad watched ‘Fat Albert,’ I grew up watching ‘The Cosby Show,’ and my daughter watches ‘Little Bill’ on Nickelodeon every morning,” she said.
Cosby is also a humanitarian, offering support and opportunities to those who may not have otherwise had the chance. It’s these efforts that made Cosby an ideal candidate to bring to Houghton.
Musselman is confident that anyone who attends this event will feel it was worth the cost of a ticket.
“Anybody who goes to this thing is going to walk out of the Student Development Complex at the end of the night feeling really, really good about the fact that they saw a class act,” Musselman said.
About 80 percent of the cost of each ticket will also benefit the community, while the other 20 percent will go toward the Rotary Foundation.
Tickets can be purchased by visiting cosbyinhoughton.com or by calling 487-2073.