Eagle Harbor museum dedicated
EAGLE HARBOR – The new Eagle Harbor Life Saving Museum was dedicated Saturday, during the year marking the 100-year anniversary of the Eagle Harbor’s U.S. Life Saving Station’s most notable rescue.
On Nov. 8, 1913, the L.C. Waldo ran aground on the very tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula, and the surfmen of the Eagle Harbor and Portage Canal Life Saving Stations responded. They rescued 22 men, two women and a dog. Both crews received the rare Life Saving Gold Medal for their efforts.
One of those gold medals was donated to the new museum during a ceremony Saturday by Tim Glaza, whose grandfather Anthony Glaza Sr., was involved in the L.C. Waldo rescue.
Several other life-saving memorabilia, which will be displayed in the new museum, were shown during the ceremony by Keweenaw County Historical Society Maritime Historian Mark Rowe.
The ceremony was held at 1:45 p.m., which included a mock firing of a Lyle Gun, a presentation of the National Register of Historic Places plaque and the unveiling of KCHS’s restored 26-foot surfboat. U.S. Coast Guard Station Portage provided dock-side tours of its 47-foot lifeboat before the ceremony, and a fish boil was held after the event, with music from Ron Lahti and his band. The museum is now open for visitors. For more information, including museum hours, visit keweenawhistory.org.