Tech soccer collects two wins in 24 hours

TIFFIN, Ohio – Michigan Tech overcame a pair of one-goal deficits to earn a 3-2 victory at Tiffin Sunday in women’s soccer. Lexi Herrewig scored twice and Alyssa Hynnek tallied the game-winner off a corner kick in the 70th minute to help the Huskies improve to 6-2-1 overall and 3-0-1 in GLIAC play.

Playing less than 24 hours after the conclusion of their previous game (at Findlay), the Black and Gold were up to the challenge. They took 30 shots including 22 on target.

It was Tiffin that took the early lead, however. Allison Bondi got the Dragons on the board in the 18th minute. Herrewig answered for the Huskies nine minutes later, putting in a rebound of a Jacqueline Mielke shot.

The score at half was 1-1.

TU went up again just two minutes into the second half with a header off a corner kick.

Herrewig knotted the score again, this time by beating two defenders one-on-one and cutting a shot to the near post.

Just two minutes following the tying goal, Hynnek took a corner kick that was curling on net. The Dragons’ goalkeeper punched at it, but it went into the goal for the game winner.

Tech was able to maintain possession for most of the final 20 minutes to remain unbeaten in league play.

“We looked good today coming off a game just 24 hours earlier,” said Tech coach Michelle Jacob. “We stayed calm and composed even though we got down.

“We created a lot of shots but struggled to capitalize on so many of them. Thankfully, Lexi was ready to take players on and put in the back of the net for us.”

Saturday, the Huskies scored right before and after halftime to take control of their match with Findlay, which was originally scheduled for last night but delayed due to thunder storms. Tech went on to a 3-0 win.

“I’m proud of the team effort today,” said Jacob. “We possessed the ball, attacked, defended and kept goal well. The big thing was making adjustments on the field with rain, puddles and mud everywhere.”

The teams warmed up and played seven minutes Friday before lightning postponed the game to Saturday. A full 90 minutes were played.

It took 41 minutes before the Huskies broke through on the scoreboard. Emily Morin played a ball across to Lindsey Van Rooy, who found a gap in the defense and drove home a shot for her third goal of the season.

Just two minutes after the intermission, Amanda Whiting posted her first of two second half goals. The junior floated a shot to the far post from 23 yards out on the right side. She tallied another in the 65th minute, giving her two goals on the day-her first two of the season.

Tech held a 14-8 advantage in shots. Both teams put four shots on goal. The Huskies scored on three of their four. Jenna Phelps made saves on all four Oilers shots to improve to 2-1-0 on the season.

Michigan Tech returns home for two games next weekend. Saginaw Valley State comes to Sherman Field Friday at 5 p.m., and Northwood plays in Houghton Sunday at noon.