Common Core Copper Country quiz
Being that I spend a lot more time in local schools than the average citizen (particularly the ones that don’t have teaching degrees), I believe in the importance of education.
After all, without an informed citizenry, who would get my jokes about steroids in baseball and Arthur Miller’s “The Crucible”? (Thanks, 11th-grade American Literature!)
Much has been discussed of the “Common Core” standards, and we won’t extend that discussion to this arena, but literacy is vital in any system of education, so here’s a common core of questions for you to answer. The answer to all of these can be found in the Daily Mining Gazette sports section in the monh of October. Enjoy.
1. What individual scored the most points in the Copper Bowl this season? A. Ben Collaer (Houghton), B. Thomas Schmidt (Houghton), C. Sam Bethancourt (Houghton), D. Brandon Barnes (Hancock).
2. Which of the following teams was not among the ‘others receiving votes’ in the final U.P. football poll, released Tuesday? A. Houghton, B. Iron Mountain, C. Marquette, D. Sault Ste. Marie.
3. Which Hancock player had the match- and Copper Spike-winning kill against Houghton last Thursday? A. Shannon Anderson, B. Nicole Anderson, C. Amanda Manninen, D. Taylor Mattson.
4. At which Marquette County golf course was Hancock’s Abby Tembruell and her Bulldog teammates crowned U.P. cross country champions? A. Greywalls, B. NMU (nee Chocolay Downs), C. Wawonowin, D. Gentz’s Homestead.
5. On which British Crown Dependency was 2013 Rally America champion and Lake Superior Performance Rally winner David Higgins born? A. Gibraltar, B. Isle of Man, C. Aston Villa, D. Hebrides.
6. Who scored Michigan Tech’s only goal in a 1-1 tie at Minnesota Duluth Oct. 12? A. Blake Hietala, B. Blake Pietila, C. Alex Petan, D. Mike Neville.
7. Which Michigan Tech soccer player is the only person to score against Grand Valley St. this season? A. Katie Boardman, B. Lexi Herrewig, C. Danna Kasom, D. Jenna Phelps.
8. For which British Columbia Hockey League team is Hancock’s Devin Kero playing in goal? A. Trail Smoke Eaters, B. Penticton Vees, C. Merritt Centennials, D. Prince George Spruce Kings.
9. From which Ontario city did Michigan Tech hockey’s exhibition opponent Laurentian come? A. Thunder Bay, B. North Bay, C. Sudbury, D. Owen Sound.
10. What was the only non-Copper Country team to make the semifinals of the Gremlin Invitational volleyball tournament? A. Marquette, B. Kingsford, C. Gladstone, D. Gwinn.
11. Which of the following teams did Hancock not beat in the 2013 prep football season? A. Baraga, B. Calumet, C. Gogebic, D. Ironwood.
12. At what GLIAC South school did both the Tech women’s soccer and women’s volleyball teams play on Oct. 20? A. Ohio Dominican, B. Tiffin, C. Findlay, D. Hillsdale.
13. How did Lake Linden-Hubbell score the winning touchdown at North Dickinson on Oct. 18? A. 1-yard run, B. 10-yard pass, C. 20-yard interception return, D. 70-yard punt return.
14. What is the name of the hybrid safety/linebacker position that is a major part of Michigan Tech’s football defense? A. Mike B. Sam, C. Alley, D. Rover.
15. On what channel will Michigan Tech’s women’s basketball game at Ashland in January be televised? A. ESPNU, B. CBS Sports Network, C. Fox Sports 1, D. C-SPAN 2
Brandon Veale can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter at @redveale.
The Answers: 1. A, 2. B, 3. A, 4. D, 5. B, 6. A, 7. C, 8. C, 9. C, 10. A, 11. C, 12. A, 13. D, 14. C, 15. B.