Key three leads to Tech OT win

HILLSDALE, Mich. – The Michigan Tech women’s basketball team defeated Hillsdale 78-75 in overtime on Saturday afternoon to move to 5-2 overall and 4-0 in the GLIAC. Kelcey Traynoff hit a 3-pointer with six seconds left to send the game to the extra session. Mackenzie Perttu buried a pair of 3-pointers in overtime as the Huskies held off the Chargers.

“It felt like we could never get over the hump,” Tech coach Kim Cameron said. “The road sweep is big. Hillsdale’s tough and their rebounding killed us. We just kept fighting and I’m very proud of our players.”

Four Huskies scored in double figures, led by Kylie Moxley with 18 points. Perttu finished with 16 while Kerry Gardner added 11 and Danielle Blake tallied 10.

Perttu and Gardner did all the scoring for Tech in overtime. The Huskies held their largest lead (six) of the game with 2:15 left in the extra session but the Chargers wouldn’t go away, as Kayla Geffert scored five straight to bring the home team to within one (76-75). Gardner made a pair of free throws with one second left and Hillsdale didn’t have enough time for a quality shot.

Tech was down by five (63-58) with 3:41 remaining. A jumper by Moxley and a layup by Perttu brought the Huskies within one with under 3:00 to go.

Megan Fogt scored a jumper for the home team and then Moxley tied it up with an old-fashioned three-point play. Angela Bisaro gave Hillsdale a 67-65 lead followed by a free throw from Brooke Borowski for a three-point lead.

Cameron called a timeout with 13 seconds left and drew up a play for Traynoff, who buried the three with six seconds on the clock.

“Kelsey’s three was huge,” said Cameron. “She’s such a good 3-point shooter and she stepped up at the right time. I’m so happy for her.”

Traynoff and Paige Albi chipped in with nine points each. Moxley added nine rebounds and Perttu pulled down seven boards.

Tech shot 42 percent (28-for-67) from the floor. The Huskies held the advantage in rebounding (31-30) and turnovers generated (18-13).

The Huskies took their first lead of the game with 5:33 remaining in the first half on a 3-pointer by Traynoff but were down 33-31 at the break after Kelsey Cromer made a late layup.

“We were so much better in the second half,” Cameron added. “We hit some big time free throws and those threes in overtime were what we needed to finally get us some separation.”

Hillsdale (2-5, 1-2 GLIAC) made 36 percent of their shots and held a 22-16 advantage in free throws made. Fogt finished with 18 points while Geffert added 13.

The Huskies return to the SDC Gym to wrap up non-conference play on Dec. 21, hosting UW-Parkside.